Town Council of Kovászna, Romania
In 2005 Levente Zsuffa mayor of Covasna initiated the contact agreement with the city of Gyula. The official record of a joint cooperation agreement took place in 2006. Kovászna has a lot of partner towns, it iniciated twinnings during the last 15 years with almost 10 settlements.
Mayor: Gyerő József
Kovászna (Romanian Covasna, German Kovasna) is a city in Romania, Covasna County. It was once the center of Orbaiszék, since 1876 it has been a district home and since 1952 it has been a city, since 1968 the County is named after the town. Vajnafalva melted into it over time and since 1968 it also includes Csomakőrös.
It is situated 20 km to the South of Kézdivásárhely next to the creek of Covasna. It has a population of 10936, 7107 of which is Hungarian.
The origin of the name
Kovászna is named after the creek that is next to the settlement. The origin of it is the Slavic kvasni (= sour water) noun
It was mentioned as Kowazna in 1548. In 1840 it received the right to hold fairs. Fires devastated it 1756, 1863, 1869, 1874 and 1887. Its old Protestant church was built between 1754 and 1764. The earthquake in 1802 damaged it so much that it had to be pulled down. The town is known world-wide for its climatic health resort, it is a resort town, most types of mineral water springs in Transylvania arise on the outskirts of it. It has nearly 1,500 mineral water sources with different compositions. The spa life began in the 1880s, in 1889 the joint-stock bath company was founded, the water of the Fisher’s well at Vajnafalva has been bottled since 1891. 5,000 liters of mineral water is bottled daily in Kovászna. It has got many carbonated warm bath and mofettas. Pokolsár in the main square was created as a result of a former eruption of a carbonated salty mud volcano. Today it is a stone basin with mud quietly bubbling out of it. Once it was used as a cold spa. In the 19th century, more outbreaks were recorded. In 1910 5451 people lived there from which 4154 were Hungarian, 1105 Romanian and 92 Ruthenian, 48 German. Until the Peace Treaty of Trianon Háromszék County belonged to Orba district. In 2002, 7539 inhabitants of 11 369 were Hungarians, 3673 Romanians, 117 Gypsies, 10 German.
• The Covasna creek coming from the valley between mountains flows through the city and on the Castle Hill above there are ruins of a castle.
• The Calvinist church of today was built between 1812 and 1815, but the tower collapsed in 1815.
• The Roman Catholic church was built between 1914 and 1922
• The Kádár-house is a gallery today.
• A place of the industrial historical memory is the funicular Commando-1886.
• The nation's largest heart medical centerworks here.
• The symbol of the city is the Pokolsár, a unique muddy, sulfur-carbon dioxid gas eruption at the eastern edge of the main square, which was initially used for medical bath cure. It was opened in 1881 under the name "Pokolsár Spa Institute", and so became Kovászna an orderly constucted spa. The later spa has emerged in Vajnafalva (it is a village fused with Kovászna) on the Mikes building site under the name Mikesfürdő.
• László Kádár geographer, traveller in Africa was born in 1908 here.
• dr. Pál Héjja army doctor, writer was born in 1897.
• Rózsa Ignácz writer was born in 1909 here.
• Attila Zágoni writer, pamphletist was born in 1945 here.
• Ella Olosz, Gazdáné textile artist lived.
• Ernő Fábián publicist, philosopher was born in 1934 here.
• Balatonfüred, Hungary
• Csenger, Hungary
• Pápa, Hungary
• Nagykanizsa, Hungary
• Gyula, Hungary
• Zalakaros, Hungary
• Sunne, Sweden
• Ticheru, Greece