Settlement Palics, Serbia
Palić, Latin Paligo Palus, Croatian Palić, German Palitsch) is a popular spa town in Serbia on the shore of the lake with the same name in the north of Vojvodina, in the north of Backa district, 3 air kilometers away from the southern border of Hungary.
The city is close to the Serbian-Hungarian border, it lies on the shores of the the lake named after the settlement. Practically it is a suburb of Subotica, 8 km to the east of it. Dual road connects it with the city.
It was first mentioned as Paly in 1462 in King Matthias’ donation letter when he gave the puszta to his mother. The town began to develop in the middle of the 19th century, when the healing nature of the lake water and mud was discovered. It got its Art Nouveau exterior in the early 1900s. It was known as a trendy spa town in the monarchy. Until the Peace Treaty of Trianon, and later between 1941-1945 it was part of Bács-Bodrog County, Hungary
Tourism is of prime importance with the major companies being involved the Palic-Ludas Public Company, the Elitte-Palic tourist-catering company, the Palic Wine Cellars and the Chemos plastic processing factory.
The Art Nouveau buildings near the pond were designed by Marcell Komor and Dezső Jakab. The villas built in the early Swiss-style cottage. One villa was owned by Tito at the time of
socialism. One of the finest zoos in Serbia, the Palic Zoo operates here.
· Palic International Film Festival (summer)
· Harvest Days
· Palic Olympic Games
They were born here:
Sava Babić (1934-2012), writer, poet, translator
They have lived / live here:
- Pál Bruck (1860-1887), physician
- Géza Csáth (1887-1919), originally known as Joseph Brenner, a Hungarian writer, doctor, psychiatrist, psychoanalyst, music critic, composer
- Ottó Tolnai (1940-) Kossuth Prize-winning Serbian, Hungarian writer, poet and translator.
- Félix Lajkó zither- and violinist, world musician
- Ferenc Sinka winemaker